Thursday, August 12, 2010
Look at the pretty colours!!
I wanted to give Rainbow Buttercream a go today, so decided to make a test batch of cupcakes for Bens party (a week and a half to go and he isn't sure what to have, I think its a case of too much choice!) in the hope he'd say 'can we have them Mum'. He liked the look of them, but, wasn't sold on making a final choice. So the hunt continues. If I could think of something easy in a Hot Wheels or Ben 10 theme, I'd have done it by now *sigh*.
If you're wondering how to re-create this icing, its actually quite simple. Which brings me to a side rant about intellectual property, skills and ideas. Recently I was witness to a display of irony that left me speechless, a fellow baking devotee who has decided to venture into business with her various efforts was bemoaning the theft of her various cupcake 'ideas'. Apparently a competitor has set up within a stones throw of her, offering very similar products to what she is, and that is, by her account, the work of the debbil himself. I didn't have the heart to point out to her that this unsuspecting soul probably got her 'ideas' from the same places online that she did, and, that there are hundreds of places selling very similar designs and flavours. She stole from you, you stole from someone else, not one of us has an original thought, and, if we do, chances are someone else out there has already come up with it, or done something just like it. In the world of cupcakes, cookies and baked treats, you're going to be pushing a fat lady up a steep incline to prove intellectual ownership of something.
How does Rainbow Buttercream factor into this? Well, debbil woman thinks she is some sort of hero for making this stuff, and, she's not. A couple of people asked her for some tips to make it themselves, and she ignored them. I know how to make it, I'm in the mood for sharing, so, here it is.
You will need 1 unit of Buttercream to begin, this will give you enough frosting for 2 dozen cupcakes.
Basic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients
125g Butter
125g Copha
4 Cups Icing Mixture
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 Tablespoons Milk
Once the Buttercream is prepared
separate into at least 3 bowls evenly.
Tint the 3 bowls with food colouring, I chose Rose Pink
Blue
and Yellow.
Next, trusty piping bag and star nozzle come out to play. The secret to the rainbow icing is just loading up your bag, spoonful at a time, with the different coloured Buttercreams
then swirl in pretty colours to your hearts content.
Up yours debbil woman!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
lol at debbil woman!!
ReplyDeletere ben 10, why not just the colour scheme? green and black cupcakes? maybe some toothpicks with little printed out flags on them (or stickers stuck back to back)?
Oooh, I like that idea! I do have some black food colour that will tint the buttercream without staining everything else (plus, if I keep the base cake chocolate or dark and it will not matter anyway).
ReplyDeleteWhy are all the cartoon characters of today so intricate with their weapons and outfits? Give me Rainbow Brite and the Care Bears any day!
Hi Kate,
ReplyDeleteI've just come across your blog....its awesome!!
I had a go at the rainbow buttercream today, & I must say,...they look pretty good!!
Thanks for sharing!